- Try to bring a reusable container/bottle/cup/bag that is similar in size to the disposable ones the retail outlet is using.
- Consider bringing as many reusable items as your daily bag allows!
- Smile and be polite while requesting to use your own container/bottle/bag.
- Let the staff know that this is for the environment as disposables are not eco-friendly.
- Try not to take up too much time especially during peak hours.
- If the retail staff accepts your request, thank them sincerely.
- If the request is declined, take it easy and be understanding.
BOTTLES, TUMBLERS & CUPS
- Stainless steel / Aluminium (approx 500ml): Good for cold & hot drinks
- Glass: Mason jars work too, but are heavier.
- Plastic: Avoid especially for hot drinks.
- Tip: Sometimes staff use disposable cups for measurements and throw it out. We can remind them to use a reusable measurement cup or to reuse the disposable cup.
TAKEAWAY CONTAINERS & LUNCHBOXES
- Stainless steel: Good, but is not microwaveable.
- Glass: Good, but may break.
- Plastic: Lighter to carry, but harder to wash when oily and could retain smell.
- Tip: If your workplace serves food with disposables, try bringing your own reusable lunchbox and utensils.
- Canvas: Good and long-lasting!
- Plastic: Try to reuse as much as possible instead of taking new ones.
- Tip: Place 1-2 folded reusable bags in your daily bag. Offer your excess reusable bags to others who do not have them, and remind them to reuse.
CUTLERY, UTENSILS & STRAWS
- Bamboo, stainless steel and glass: Great for cold drinks. Wash and dry them immediately after use.
- Tip: If you love bubble tea, get a jumbo straw!